Communication is being able to share ideas & feelings with other people. However, the term is not be seen as simple as giving feedback or discussing problems. It can be defined as a way for people to get to know each other. And the more you know about someone, the better the chances that you would be able to provide great services.
Business Communication Roles
Business communication occurs between two or more parties to exchange business-related information. The success of a business depends on the efficacy of business communications. For this, communication is regarded as the lifeblood of business. The role or importance of communication is discussed below:
- Exchanging information: Communication is mainly the exchange of information between two or more parties. Through communication, organizations exchange information with internal and external parties and they’re referred to as “internal communication” and “external communication” respectively. Communication also brings dynamism in organizational activities and helps in attaining goals.
- Preparing plans and policies: Communication helps in preparing organizational plans and policies. Realistic plans and policies require adequate and relevant information. The managers collect required information from reliable sources through effective business communication.
- Execution of plans and places: For timely implementation of plans, policies and organizational goals, managers must disseminate those in the whole organization. In order to disseminate the plans and policies to the internal and external parties, managers rely on varying forms of communication including digital communication, technical communication, business communication for accuracy.
- Increasing employee’s efficiency: Communication also helps in increasing the efficiency of employees. With the help of “one-to-many” communication; organizational objectives, plans, policies, rules, directives and other complex matters explained to the employees can broaden their knowledge and thus help improve efficiency of employees.
- Achieving goals: Effective communication helps the employees at all levels to be conscious and attentive. It ensures timely accomplishment of jobs and easy achievement of common goals.
- Solving problems: Through various communication channels, business people can be informed of various routine and non-time problems of the organization and accordingly they take the necessary actions or steps to solve the problems. Problem solving abilities does not always require critical thinking, by paying close attention to the target market and being aware of market trends, businesses can access actionable feedback that can make a company successful.
- Making decisions: Making timely decisions requires updated information. Through effective business communication, managers can collect information from different corners and can make the right decisions whilst aiming to achieve business goals.
- Improving industrial relation: Industrial relation is one of essential elements of good business and it’s the relation between workers and management in the workplace. Good industrial relation is always desired for business success. Communication plays a vital role in creating and maintaining good industrial relations. Business owners, team leaders, managers, and business partnerships must ensure good communication in business and promote communication practices within the organization.
- Publicity of goods and services: In the modern age, business is becoming highly competitive. Almost very competing manufacturer produces products of common consumption and even embrace new types of business communication techniques such as web-based communication to improve communication with customers online. However, all of them cannot sell equally well and this usually depends on the form of communication tools employed. An organization with better communication systems, communication styles, and business functions will sell better.
- Removing controversies: Effective communication plays a critical role in the smooth and constant flow of information among various parties involved in negotiations or transactions. As a result, conflicts, controversies and disagreements can be resolved easily.
- Enhancing employee satisfaction: If there is free and fair flow of information within the organization, it will bring mutual understanding between management and workers and boost employee morale. Such understanding enhances the satisfaction of employees and create a positive atmosphere.
- Enhancing loyalty: Effective communication plays a key role in helping managers understand the performance of their subordinates. In such a situation, the subordinates try to show their good performance. Later on, if management praises their performance, it will enhance employee engagement and employees’ loyalty.
Communication is an essential part of business growth and development and the function of business communication cannot be overemphasized. Ensuring good managerial communication with employees, promoting business communication skills across all employee chain, and improving person communication and relationship amongst co-workers all ensure accurate communication.
There are many aspect of business communication and inculcating the right methods with a good internal communication strategy will prevent communication failure with a guarantee of success.