Downward communication mainly aims at providing subordinates with the goals, policies and procedures of the company along with the instructions, orders and directions of the superiors. In the following the main objective or purposes of downward communication are discussed:
- To inform the subordinates: The prime objective of downward communication is to communicate organizational goals, plans, programmers’, policies and procedures to the employees. Downward communication also helps the employees to understand their duties and to relate their duties to those of others in the organization.
- To give task directives: Another main objective of downward communication is to give directive to the subordinates. Though downward communication, manager’s issue various task directives to their subordinates and them well informed of their duties.
- To explain organization policies and procedures: Subordinates may not always correctly understand the inner meanings of organizational policies and procedures. In such a situation, managers provide necessary explanations of organizational polices, and procedures to the subordinates through downward communication.
- To provide performance feedback: Downward communication is a means to provide performance feedback to the employees. Based on such information, employees can take steps to improve their performance.
- To delegate authority: Delegating authority is necessary for smooth functioning of the organization. Downward communication is the vehicle through which superiors delegate authority to their subordinates.
- To Motivate and inspire employees: Another objective of downward communication is to motive and inspire employees. Through downward communication, managers communicate various motivational programmers’ to the subordinates. Moreover, employees also feel inspired when superiors talk with them.
- To establish discipline: In performing organizational activities, proper discipline should be maintained. Through downward communication, manager’s issue task related rules and regulations time to time in order to maintain discipline.
- To explain the changed environment: In order to cope with the environmental changes, mangers require to change organizational plans, polices, procedures and programmers’. Those changes are communicated to the subordinates through downward communication.