The communication which is performed through any written document is called written communication. When messages or information is exchanged or communicated in written form is called written communication. It is a word-based communication system. Memos, letters, reports, notes, email etc. Is used to transmit meaning in written communication. The important definitions of written communication are as follows:
According to Bovee and others, “Written communication is the expression of ideas through words that are meant to be read.”
According to C.B. Mamoria, “A written communication process is always put into writing and generally used when the audience is at a distance or when a permanency of record is required.
According to Ricky W. Griffin, “Written communication is the message that is encoded and transmitted in written form.”
According to R. Pal and J.S. Korlahlli, “Everything that has to be written and transmitted in the written form falls in the area of written communication.”
So, written communication is the process of communication in which messages or information is exchanged or communicated within sender and receiver through written form.
Characteristics of a good written about communication
Characteristics of a good written communication are discussed below:
- Easy language: Easy language should be used in written communication. The sentences of written communication must be understandable to the reader.
- Structure: Definite structure must be followed in drafting any written document. Every written form has its own structure.
- Accurate and precise: A well-written document must be accurate and precise. Written communication insists on greater accuracy and precision.
- Direct speech: Direct speech should be used in written communication. Indirect and passive sentences must be avoided.
- Paragraph design: A good written communication bears a paragraph design. Paragraphing is also important to clear communication.
- Error-less: A well-written document must be free from error in both grammar and language.
- You-attitude: There must be your attitude in written communication. The reader can be impressed for this.
- Personal and organizational images: A good written communication bears the personal image of the writer. It also increases the organizational image as a whole.