Communication process consists of some interrelated steps or parts through which messages are sent from sender to receiver. The process of communication begins when the sender wants to transmit a fact, idea, opinion or other information to the receiver and ends with receiver’s feedback to the sender. The main components of communication process are sender, message, channel of communication, receiver and feedback. In the following paragraphs, some definitions of the communication process are quoted:
Robert Kreitner defined, “Communication process is a chain made up of identifiable links. The chain includes sender, encoding, message, receiver, decoding, and feedback.”
In the opinion of S. K. Kapur, “The communication process is the method by which the sender transfers information and understanding to the receiver.”
According to Bovee, Thill and Schatzman, “The communication process consists of six phases linking sender and receiver.”
C. B. Mamoria has pointed out the parts of communication process by saying, “That communication process model is making up of seven steps or parts: a. the communication b. Encoding c. The message and the medium or channel, d. reception by the feceiver e. decoding f. Action and g. feedback.”
The following diagram represents the communication process
Thus, it is clear that communication process is the set of some sequential steps involved in transferring messages as well as feedback to messages conveyed by the recipient. The process requires a sender who transmits message through a channel to the receiver. Then the receiver decodes the message and sends back some type of signal or feedback which could be positive feedback or otherwise. However, the model of communication differ and plays a crucial role in communication whilst promoting message transmission.
Steps of Communication Process
The communication process refers to the steps through which communication takes place between the sender and the receiver. This process starts with conceptualizing an idea or message by the sender and ends with the feedback to messages conveyed from the receiver. In details, communication process consists of the following eight steps of communication:
- Developing idea by the sender: In the first step, the communicator develops or conceptualizes an idea to be sent. It is also known as the planning stage since in this stage the communicator plans the subject matter of communication. It is the most essential components of the key components of a communication channel. It is a deliberate process that envisions what to commute and the overall goal of communication.
- Encoding: Encoding means converting or translation the idea into a perceivable form that can be communicated to others. This is sequential with the choice of communication method and communication objectives intended to use for sending the message.
- Developing the message: After encoding, the sender gets a message that can be transmitted to the receiver. The message can be an oral or verbal message, written message, symbolic or nonverbal message. For example, when people talk, speech is the message; when people write a letter, the words and sentences are the message; when people cries, the crying is the message. Whether it is a non-verbal message or verbal message or body language; the components of speech, action, and texts are the components of a clear message and effective communication. In this stage, communication skills are regarded essential for current and future communication as it determines the quality of message sent to prevent misunderstood messages.
- Selecting the medium: communication mediums are channel of communication or means of transmitting the message to the receiver. Once the sender has encoded his thoughts or ideas into a message, the next step is to select a suitable medium for transmitting it to the receiver. The medium of communication can be speaking, writing, signaling, body gestures, facial expressions, etc.
- Transmission of message: In this step, the sender actually transmits the message through chosen medium. In the communication cycle, the tasks of the sender end with the transmission of the message. This can involve the use of communication technology and other form of communication such as telephone conversation, radio message, human communication to send nonverbal messages and actionable messages to a receiver for decoding.
- Receiving the message by receiver: This stage simply involves the reception of sender’s message by the receiver. The message can be received in the form of hearing, seeing, feeling and so on. This is dependent on the choice of communication model and transmission model used by the sender.
- Decoding: Decoding is the receiver’s interpretation of the sender’s message. Here the receiver converts the message into thoughts and tries to analyze and understand it through a decoding process. Effective communication can occur only when both the sender and the receiver assign the same or similar meanings to the message. The ability to decode messages makes communication an ongoing process between communication partners.
- Feedback: The final step of communication process is feedback. Feedback means receiver’s response to sender’s message. It increases the effectiveness of communication. It ensures that the receiver has correctly understood the message. Feedback is the essence of two-way communication and can simply be regarded as the elimination of poor communication which results from a one-way communication without response.
The steps of communication mentioned above promotes interpersonal communication using unique methods of communication. This concept or model of communication describes effective business communication and private conversations across all fields of study.
mubarak yusuf says
communications simply means is a process by sending data or information though media techenically or locally
Stan Arnold says
I’m a professional copywriter, and I found parts of this impossible to understand. Points 2,3 and 4 need some serious clarification work. Sorry, but I’d be fired if I wrote anything as confusing as this. Still everyone else seems to get it. Maybe I should have stuck with my human cannonball act.
shup u header
Evans Agebakhoe says
Thanks so much.it has improved my understanding of the content matter..
Gramhussein Habibu Faisuali says
Thank you so much for this kind of summary………. It has helped me so much in my assignment
Ahmed optimism says
Thanks you very much, this has enlight me of what communication process all about
ackim peter banda says
Very well sumarized so helpfull
Very Useful, u are a life saver
omoshalewa Muritala says
Thank you so much it’s brief and simple
lawaiza khan says
thanks a lot. now i m feeling good…
THANKS ALOT.MY TAKE AWAY ASSIGNMENT IS NOW OVER!
Thanks 4 the information 🙂 i got the components of communication . Nice 🙂
Thx for more communication procces.. I learned so much….
Titus Milka says
Thanks for the knowledge i have gained, love it
Rhoda Jegeda says
Thanks a lot, you have increased my understanding according to what communication is all about
Rhoda Jegeda says
In short i can say communication is between two parties which is a sender and a receiver when they are transferring the information from one to another.
Kamba John says
Thank you. I have learnt more
nany milly says
thaxs ver much fot the communication process,my course work is nw done
PONYOCHI KUNYOBO says
Thanks. This has enriched my book; the essence and essentials of communication. You have increased my understanding.
Thanks for the information & it’s brief & simple
how many pillars do we have in communication process. kindly help me understand
This is very good. thanks.
David mweko says
i’m really contradicted by these points, they are quite different from the ones in the books
thanx a lot u have made my test in communication process
heamen asegid says
Wow,i can get it all i’ve find.thank u very much.it is briefly written paper for me.
Ephraim kalyalya says
thanks now i can mention that stages and express on it
tigabu belachew says
thank you !!!
Give me specific example of each process please!!?
zainab abubakar says
communcation is the process of sending and receiving information [massege]and it includes all the way and manner through which we can let other people know and share our exprience.
Oestinah van Harry says
well said and easily understandable
MASENGESHO Pascal says
THANK YOU FOR CLARIFICATION , WE GET SOME NEW INFORMATIONS
ONGELE JOSEPH says
helpful and precise notes!
Afolabi Odunola says
Diagram of concept of communication
PHIRI VINCENT says
cool and grt,,,,my headache has ceased due to overwhelming assignment i had abt communication process,,,,,thanks…….
DANIEL KIRIMI says
awesome,you have mightly helped me in research,and for that reason am very grateful.
konga Harriet says
so great,am happy i have got to know more abt communiation process,now my course work is done,thxs alot.
nitesh sen says
It’s good summary to understood communication thank you so much
bert gordan says
reading this made my soil myself
Communication is good to know what’s going on around you
Norah nanyangwe says
This has been helpful… Thank you
KUPILA NATHANIEL says
thank you very much,,.
Andel bravo says
Finally i got it!!
Hassan Barrie says
This is wonderful. My problem with assignment on communication process is finally solved. Tnk u guys
Adamu Isah says
that is well understand
Kenson Kueth Biel says
Thank you very much for that skill.
it would help us alot
Chiyenge B says
Thank you so much for the information. It has made my work easier.
George TINGKE says
Great piece of information…its helpful!
this is really lovely
Victoria Tenguson says
Very helpful indeed thank a lot
MAXWELL CHIBWATIKO says
THANKS FOR YOUR IDEA
Doris zulu says
Comment: thanks very much for the help
Thanks alot….it has make my day🆒