Meaning of face-to-face conversation
Conversation means the informal discussion among the people. When one person discusses his views, opinion to another person and exchanges their views in the presence of both then it is called face to face conversation. It also includes the face-to-face discussion on a particular issue. In this method, both the information receiver and sender can exchange their views freely and fairly.
So, face-to-face conversation is an informal discussion through spoken language and words on a particular issue among the people to exchange their views freely and fairly weighs each other.
Advantages of face-to-face conversation:
In modern society, with the rapid development of technology, people have more choices ways to communicate each other such as face-to-face, letters, emails or telephones. However, I believe that face-to-face communication is much better than other types of communication, such as a letter, email or telephone calls. The advantages of face-to-face communication are described as below:
- Responses immediately: When people communicate each other in person, they can get a response immediately without misunderstanding. During the conversation, people can not only hear a response from others, also see how they are feeling; people can guest what will take place next, how the conversation is about, which is very important to have a successful talk.
- Express of feelings: Using face-to-face communication helps people express their feelings, ideas much better. Instead of using words only when people choose letters, emails or phone for communication, people can use eye contact, verbal language in order to show their opinions. Scientists show that more than seventy percent people use body or verbal language in communicating; thus, it’s very important for people use actions to express views.
- Suitable for respect: Face-to-face communication enjoys yet another distracts advantage, the message being communicated also gets the assistance of facial expressions and gestures.
- Suitable for discussion: Face-to-face communication is particularly suitable for discussion, for there is immediate feedback from the listener. Face-to-face communication provides the speaker with a much better opportunity for adjustment. A twist of the lips, a frown on the forehead, a contraction of the facial muscles point out that the message is not welcomed, then changes of tone or sympathetically looking is to be needed. These adjustments are possible only in face-to-face communication.
- Conversation to learn: We learn a great deal via conversation, including conversations with ourselves. We learn highly valuable life lessons.
- Conversation to coordinate: Coordinating our action in ways that are mutually beneficial. Anytime we negotiate one favor for another, we use conversation to reach an agreement to transact.
- Collaborate: Coordination of action assumes relatively clear goals, but many times social interaction involves the negotiation of goals. Conversation is a requisite for agreeing on goals, as well as for agreeing upon and coordinating our actions.
Disadvantages of face-to-face conversation
The limitations of face-to-face communication are given below:
- Difficult to practice in a large-sized organization: Face-to-face communication is extremely difficult to practice in large-sized organizations, particularly if their various units or departments are situated at different places.
- Not effective in large gatherings: It is very difficult to get a message across to large gatherings. Even though the speaker is addressing them face-to-face, the vital personal touch is missing. In the absence of a satisfactory feedback, his speech lapse into a monologue.
- Ineffective if the listener is not attentive: A limitation which the face-to-face communication shares with oral communication is that its effectiveness is closely linked with the listener’s attentiveness. Since human beings can listen to grasp the message faster than the speed at which they are delivered, they will easily get delivered thus making communication ineffective.
Kamrul Islam says
Thank you for sharing such an article on various aspects of communication.
Kechi Mgahe says
Sometimes we conduct the face to face interview, couldn’t it be called formal conversation?
Liam Ramsdale says
yes u gorm
felix kaluba. says
Very true thanks
Tessia Scott says
Very helpfull indeed. I am presenting on a very short notice and this site came in very handy for me.
You don’t know how much this helped me
Piyush agnihotri says
If we are trying in notes for also too good then
these notes are too satisfy to student
Awio fermy oscar says
You made to understand what face to face conversation is? thank