Circular letters are prepared for circulating business and non-business messages. Thus, it seems that circular letters can be of the following two types:
- Trade circular letter: When a circular letter is prepared and distributed for circulating any business-related message, it is known as trade circular letter. Its main objective is to circulate business information like launching a new business, opening new branch or showroom, changing address of business, introducing new product, inclusion, retirement or death of partners etc.
- Non-trade circular letter: The circular letter that is prepared and distributed for circulating personal or social information is known as non-trade circular letter. The examples of non-trade issues are preaching the political ideology by a political organization, circulating personal opinion on any matter by an individual etc.
Features of circular letter
A well-drafted and persuasive circular letter should possess the following features or characteristics:
- Wide publicity: One of the most important features of circular letter is that it makes wide publicity of information at a least possible time.
- Method of drafting: Circular letter is very simple in nature. It is drafted in a simple language so that people of various sections can easily understand.
- Attractiveness: Another dominate feature of circular letter is the attractive and distinctive presentation of message. In this letter, information is presented attractively so that in can convinces the readers.
- Conciseness: A well-drafted circular letter is always concise but complete. It expresses the message using the least possible words.
- Courtesy: Since circular letter is conveyed to external parties, it presents information courteously. Circular letter is drafted by using polite and cordial language so that it wins the readers heart.
- Persuasiveness: Circular letter is written in a persuasive and motivational way so as to influence the reader’s decision in favor of the company.
- Reader’s interest: Circular letter always focuses on the interest of the readers and presents trustworthy information.
- Universality: The format, message and the wording of circular letter should be such that all concerned parties accept it.
- Free from controversy: A business circular letter is free from political, religious, social or any other controversies.