Here you will get to learn the meaning of office memo or memorandum or what is office memo or memorandum? Memorandum is popularly known as “memo”. The literal meaning of the word memorandum is a note to assist the memory. Memos are the written internal communication means for exchanging information relating to day-to-day functions within the organizations.
According to Lesikar and pettit, “Memorandum is a form of letters written inside the business”.
According to Stewart and Clark, “Memos are used to communicate with other employees, regardless of where the employees may be located in the same organization.”
According to S. Taylor, “Memo is a written communication form one person to another (or a group of people) within the same organization.”
So, memorandum or memos are internal short notes or letters in which information is exchanged among business owners, superiors and subordinates or across the executive departments of employees in the organizational structure.
Advantages of office memo
We know memorandum serves various purposes. it is a common means of business communication within the organization. The main advantages of memos are discussed below:
- Time-saving: We can see that many organizations use printed memo. As it is usually printed, it takes a reasonable time to draft it.
- Less formality: No formality is necessary in drafting a memo, usually include address, salutation and complimentary, closing is omitted in it.
- Maintains good relationship: It can help to maintain a good relationship among the boss and subordinates because the bossing attitude is absent here.
- Low cost: The cost of communication through a memo is less than those of others. The cost factor of drafting memo formats are cheaper and cost-effective.
- References: Memo is a written document. So, it can be used for future references. It ensures careful consideration of the subject matter and gives a detailed and concise report.
- Inform the decisions and actions: The main objective of memo is to inform the decisions and actions. For this purpose, it should be written by a higher authority. Example of this is paying careful attention to the attorney notes.
- Request the decisions and actions: The objective of memo is to request the decisions and actions. For this objective, it may be drafted by the sub-ordinate. Giving attention to agent notes will give good info on the objectives of independent agencies.
- Provide information: Another important objective of the memo is to provide information form one level to another within the business. Movement of messages from the agency counsel to agents is an example of this objective.
- Remind someone of action: Memo is also written to remind someone of action if required. It serves as additional guidance for reference purposes about past events.
- Others: Issuing orders and instructions, providing responses, providing suggestions, presenting informal report, solving problems, providing expense report, and providing additional resources.
Disadvantages of office memo
There are few limitations or Disadvantages of memos, they are:
- Limited application: It is not a widely used means of communication. Memorandum is mainly used in business firms. It maintains communication only among the employees of the same firm regardless of distance.
- Time-consuming: It takes time to be sent to a distant branch or office.
- Expensive: As usually a memo is a pre-printed form, it is expensive than other means. Sometimes huge printed memos remain unused.
- Lack of formality: It provides only informal communication. The memorandum format does not support high level of formality.
- Lack of explanation: Memo is written in short form. So the meaning of it may not be clear to the reader.
- Less important to the reader: As it is an informal means of communication, it can be less important to the reader. This report type only cont
- Not suitable for illiterate people: Office memo is one kind of written communication. So, illiterate people are not able to read and understand it.
Guidelines for writing effective memos or drafting memos
The memo planning guidance is essential for writing an effective and detailed memorandum. Absence of guidance makes the final document less presentable and can negate its usage. Here are the planning guidance for writing effective memos:
- Summarize the conclusions in the introductory thesis paragraph
- State the basis for conclusion in the introductory paragraph
- Begin each subsequent paragraph with a thesis statement
- Support the thesis statement in the body of the paragraph
- Be concise
- Know the audience
- Avoid jargon
- Stay objective
- Use active verbs
- Anticipate counterarguments
- Provide “road signs” as needed
- Cite the sources
- Number the pages
- End with a concluding paragraph
Memos have been around since ancient times. They were first introduced during Roman Empire. In modern era, they became more popular due to their usefulness. Today, there are many types of memos available such as formal memos, informal memos, internal memos, external memos etc.