Feedback is the essence of two-way communication. In two-way communication, the sender must wait for receiver’s response before deciding what to say nest and how to say it. Feedback is the check on how much successful one has been in transferring his message as originally intended. If there is no feedback. Communication will be incomplete and ineffective. Based on feedback, a sender may either alter the presentation of the message or cancel it entirely. Thus, there is no alternative to feedback,. Some points highlighting the importance of feedback are mentioned below:
Why feedback is necessary for completion of communication process?
- Completion of communication: Two-way communication requires feedback from the receiver. Through the feedback, sender can understand the attitude of the receiver. Burton and Thakur said, “The receiver’s feedback to the sender completes the communication process loop.”
- Measuring the effectiveness of communication: Feedback ensures the sender regarding the effectiveness of his communication. By means of feedback, sender can be sure that the receiver received the message and understood it in the proper way. Sender needs feedback in order to determine the success or failure of communication.
- Understanding the receiver’s view: Feedback helps to understand the receiver’s view and opinion about the sender’s message. With this understanding, sender can determine the next course of action.
- Measuring the appropriateness of media: Message can be transmitted using various media. Improper media cannot convey the message to the receiver properly. So proper understanding of the message by the receiver and his feedback proves that the sender has selected the right media.
- Making correct decision: Feedback communicates the receiver’s opinion to the sender. Considering this opinion, the communicator can take proper decision. Information of the receiver can also improve the quality of decision.
- Collection of information: One-way communication only sends information. If communicator wants to gather information, he must seek feedback.
- Coordination of activities: Responsibility of performing organizational activities is assigned to various departments. In this case, organizational success depends on proper coordination of inter-departmental activities. Feedback helps top management to ensure proper coordination.
- Improving labor-management relationships: Healthy labor-management relationship is essential for organizational success. If management wants to build a congenial atmosphere, they should encourage two-way communication
The above discussion reveals that feedback is an essential element of communication process. Through feedback, the sender and receiver can know each other and accordingly they can decide their next course of action.