Advantages of oral communication
Oral communication involves many advantages. In a recent survey about communication it is clear that more than 55% of the executives choose this communication. The advantages of oral communication are as follows:
- Time-saving: When action is required to be taken immediately it is best to transmit a message orally. If the executive’s workload is high then they stop writing and by oral instructions, they complete their message transmission and released their workload and also it saves time.
- Cost savings: Cost is involved in any communication. When the communication is needed within the organization and if it and is completed in orally, it has not needed any paper, pen or stamp or computer. So it saves the money of the organization.
- More powerful: Speech is a more powerful means of persuasion and control. Therefore, executives often prefer to transmit messages orally.
- Effectiveness: With the help of variations in the tone, pitch, and intensity of voice, the speaker can convey shades of meaning. This factor also contributes to the effectiveness of oral communication.
- Immediate feedback: The speaker can get immediate feedback on whether it is creating a favorable impression on the receiver or whether the receiver will protest or whether the receiver has clearly understood his meaning or is feeling perplexed or baffled and he can mold and adjust his message accordingly.
- More suitable: The employees felt more suitable when the message transmits in orally. They get an opportunity for feedback and clarification.
- A relationship develops: Oral communication is mostly carried out helps to promote friendly relations between the parties communicating with each other.
- Flexibility: By the demand of the situations, oral instructions can be changed easily and for these cases maintain the formalities are not necessary. So it is very much flexible and effective.
- Easiness: It is so an easy method of communication. It needs little preparation to send a message. No need of pens, pencils and other writing equipment which are needed in written communication.
- Correction of errors: If any error is expressed at the time of oral communication. It was possible to rectify at that time or within a very short time.
- Informal communication: In oral communication, no need to maintain such formalities which are needed in written communication. So it is easy and helpful to any organization.
- Motivation: In oral communication system, top executives and subordinates staff can sit face-to-face and exchange their views directly, so sub-ordinates are motivated day by day.
- Special applications: Oral communication is more helpful in communicating messages to groups of people at assembly meetings etc.
- Maintaining secrecy: Interested parties of oral communication can maintain the secrecy of messages easily.
Disadvantages of oral communication
Oral communication contains many advantages. In spite of this, there are oral some disadvantages which are given below:
- No record: In oral communication, messages are difficult to record. So it is impossible to preserve the message for the future.
- Expensive: It is also expensive media of communication. Sometimes the audience can be managed by paying T. A and D. A. On the other hand Technological devices that are used in this system are costly.
- Distortion of the word: If distortion of the word occurs in oral communication, then main goals of the organization may be filed.
- Inaccuracy: There is very possibility of inaccurate messages to reach the destination. So, the reverse result of expected plan may be occurred.
- Limited use: The scope of usage of oral communication is limited. It is not suitable for lengthy messages. It should be sued for a short message.
- Probability of omitting main subject: Sometimes, main subject may be omitted to express a word for communicating. So, expected result may not be achieved.
- Confused speech: Sometimes the receiver fails to understand the meaning of a message due to habitual productions of the speaker.
- No legal validity: there is any legal validity of the oral message. As, the oral messages are not taped and kept records, so it can be denied easily if the situation goes against the speaker.
- Late decision: It takes time to reach a decision. At the beginning stage, some time is killed in the discussion of any personal matters. Besides some time is also wasted for irrelevant discussion. In this way, decision making is delayed.
- Less important: In oral communication, meaningless speech can mislead the main effects of communication. But when the information comes out in written, we take it seriously.
- Lack of secrecy: In oral communication, important and secret information may be disclosed.
- Defective: Oral communication is defective for the company’s policy, procedure, programs, law, and other important information.
- Creates misunderstanding: The speaker often gives message without having properly organized it earlier. So, it is possible that he may not be able to make himself properly to communicate with the receiver. As a result, misunderstanding May develops.
Thanks … It has been very useful to me
Thanks for the information it has helped me a lot
It’s good for the student and very helpfull to find the answer..
Brilliant mukaka says
Thank you very much, keep on giving us such information.
who is the author of this information? and when and where was it published? in need of de answers, quick response plz
This article was published on Oct 10, 2013 at https://thebusinesscommunication.com site. And the author name is Masudur Rashid & Ornov Chowdhury Bappi.
thanks a lot
Thanks a lot for such abrilliant information
herman namaswa says
my respondent has no cause of alerm but alot of thanks
am grateful for this piece of work….its very educative to me.
Maate John Speke says
Thanks.God bless u for that wonderful article.
Martha Gire says
So helpful to me thanks
Kurgat dennis says
it has been great to me…thanks
Thanks a lot for the helpful information, but what is the book title?
Thank. This been very good. Information easy to understrand and take in the eye. Keep the good work skywards.
It has been of great importance to me. Thanks a lot
Maige Kulwa says
what is the tittle of the book plz help me
tinka priscilla says
Big thanks to you
oluchi maryann says
am impressed in your good works. Kudos! !!
innocent Neima says
am one beneficiary of your information,, thanks!
kwale munyinda says
wahome joshua says
it has really helped…. Thenks
Kayode Damilare michael says
This will help the student and organization to grow and communicate efficieny and effectively
AKINADE TEMITOPE says
thank you for this.
brian jacy kivuio says
thanks so much for this artical guys
brian jacy kivuio says
am always you with you together to learn more and more
tafadzwa phiri says
thanks for such information
loyani justice says
thanks for this information
Monde Simushi says
This article has been of great importance to me. Thanks a lot.
Happygod Mtui says
Thanks so much I’m interested about yourey information of communucation.
I can’t see the references
AMADOU SADIO DIALLO says
When we talk about disadvantages of oral communication you mentioned expensive. You talk about T. A and D. A please give me their meaning.
Very good analysis
Hassan Jairzy says
Please provide references.
prisca kikwembe says
So how about the effect of Putting oral literature into written literature
Principal Harszyll says
Very nice work
T I understand easily thnks
Thank you very much. It really help me
magidu abdul says
Thanks for the answers becouse it was so intresting
Thanks for information
Mark Quaye Nii Amu says
Thanks u Soo much
It so helpful to me..so be blessed
S squre says
Thenks for good information .God bless you
ERIC NA'ANSHANG DAKUP says
thank you the writter and all the congeration that surport you in written this wonderful books rightup thanks once more, its help me alot in my research.
Martha Gire says
So helpful to me thanks
Thanks so much
Thanks for enlightened me on oral communication indeed my time was not wasted here.
God bless you 🙌
Elminoor kombo Khamis says
Thanks so much it was very helpful to me