Advantage of grapevine or informal communication
The advantages of informal communication are given below:
- Interpret: The information is given by the top-level management under the formal system. It is easy for the employees to take the explanation by informal system. So this system plays a vital role to complete the work properly.
- Present grievance: Under the informal system the employees disclose their needs, sentiment and their emotions to others authority without feeling any hesitation.
- Alternate system: The management sometimes does not able to reach all information by formal system. Informal system covers the gap or familiarity of formal system.
- Improved relationship: Any problem between the workers and the management can be solved by informal system. So it makes good relationships among the employees and the management.
- Increase efficiency: Under the informal system, the employees discuss their problems openly and they can solve it. For this, the work is done properly and it develops the efficiency of the employee.
- Providing recommendation: In this system the employees inform their superior about their demands, problem and the way to develop the implementation system of the work. As a result it creates an opportunity to send the recommendation to their management.
- Flexibility: Informal communication is more flexible than formal communication because it is free from all types of formalities.
- Rapid communication: Informal communication transmits very fast. Especially miss-information or rumor spread rapidly to others in the organization.
- Improve interpersonal relationship: Cooperation and coordination in informal communication leads to improve interpersonal relationship which is very much essential to carry out the business activity smoothly.
- Others: Improve labor-management relationships. Free flow of information. Remove mental distance. Evaluation of employees. Obtain immediate feedback. Reliving frustration. Increasing efficiency. Solution of problems and helping decision-making. Enhance mutual trust etc.
Disadvantages of grapevine or informal communication
The disadvantages of informal communication are as follows:
- Distort meaning: Something the meaning and the subject matter of the information is distorted in this system.
- Spread rumor: In this system, the miss-information or rumor spread rapidly. The original information may be transformed to wrong information.
- Misunderstanding: Under this system, generally, the employees do not obey the formal authorization system. So it creates the opportunity to develop misunderstanding.
- Maintaining secrecy is impossible: In informal communication system maximum communication is made by open discussion. So it is impossible to maintain the secrecy of the information.
- Difficulty in controlling: Under informal communication system no established rules or policy is obeyed. So it is very much difficult to control the information.
- Non-cooperation: Informal communication system sometimes develops the adversary culture among the employees. So they are not to be cooperative with each other and their efficiency may be reduced.
- Others: Providing partial information. Not reliable. No documentary evidence. Damaging discipline. Contradicting to formal information etc.