Advantage of grapevine or informal communication
The advantages of informal communication are given below:
- Interpret: The information is given by the top-level management under the formal system. It is easy for the employees to take the explanation by informal system. So this system plays a vital role to complete the work properly.
- Present grievance: Under the informal system the employees disclose their needs, sentiment and their emotions to others authority without feeling any hesitation.
- Alternate system: The management sometimes does not able to reach all information by formal system. Informal system covers the gap or familiarity of formal system.
- Improved relationship: Any problem between the workers and the management can be solved by informal system. So it makes good relationships among the employees and the management.
- Increase efficiency: Under the informal system, the employees discuss their problems openly and they can solve it. For this, the work is done properly and it develops the efficiency of the employee.
- Providing recommendation: In this system the employees inform their superior about their demands, problem and the way to develop the implementation system of the work. As a result it creates an opportunity to send the recommendation to their management.
- Flexibility: Informal communication is more flexible than formal communication because it is free from all types of formalities.
- Rapid communication: Informal communication transmits very fast. Especially miss-information or rumor spread rapidly to others in the organization.
- Improve interpersonal relationship: Cooperation and coordination in informal communication leads to improve interpersonal relationship which is very much essential to carry out the business activity smoothly.
- Others: Improve labor-management relationships. Free flow of information. Remove mental distance. Evaluation of employees. Obtain immediate feedback. Reliving frustration. Increasing efficiency. Solution of problems and helping decision-making. Enhance mutual trust etc.
Disadvantages of grapevine or informal communication
The disadvantages of informal communication are as follows:
- Distort meaning: Something the meaning and the subject matter of the information is distorted in this system.
- Spread rumor: In this system, the miss-information or rumor spread rapidly. The original information may be transformed to wrong information.
- Misunderstanding: Under this system, generally, the employees do not obey the formal authorization system. So it creates the opportunity to develop misunderstanding.
- Maintaining secrecy is impossible: In informal communication system maximum communication is made by open discussion. So it is impossible to maintain the secrecy of the information.
- Difficulty in controlling: Under informal communication system no established rules or policy is obeyed. So it is very much difficult to control the information.
- Non-cooperation: Informal communication system sometimes develops the adversary culture among the employees. So they are not to be cooperative with each other and their efficiency may be reduced.
- Others: Providing partial information. Not reliable. No documentary evidence. Damaging discipline. Contradicting to formal information etc.
MAN EX says
Notify me for new posts by email
very wholesome information
Newton Sichinga says
It’s very easy to remember and to know.
Informal Communication says
Communication Is So Important In Society And In Our Daily Life, Xo That, We Can Use Much Formal Com In Order To Present Truly Information, Thanks These Notes Of Grapevine Comm
musasizi jonan says
thanx 4 ur ideas
tinashe gayi says
not too bad
I have been lectured here and I believe will do well in my exams.
gomoi peter says
it s great for the opportunity of simplifying our commounication through such medias, we can link up the all world.
It’s a very good and easy to understandable.
Efred Sande says
I’ve rent but what are the questions partenning to this topic?
i like what i read its meaning full
sharifu Khalid says
it’s very attractive to study communication skills
its meaning full and easy to understund. thnk u
Your right I love this
Blessing Chiremba says
Thank you very much
justine nakijjo says
Actually without communication nothing goes on and no problems solved in organisations,among the marrieds and so on
nice explaination on grapevine, thank you
Alice Wangeci says
this really help me…
Joshua Twawebwa says
It’s not just wow but,more knowledgeable with rich content for business learners like I.
Good Luck please.
Aputu Margret says
I really found things hard in class but thank now am satisfied with communication and now i can face my exams with confidence
Arimwerengam Moses says
Grapevine can check and balance some managers.If he is planning something bad to his employees and they react early through grapevine,he may go slow and revise himself.On the other hand,grapevine can cause strikes e.g in institutions.Relatedly it can cause destruction of property.0774677286(Kyamoshe-Bufunda ward/Division-Ibanda Municipality-Uganda-Africa.
i have a one question why so of manager use grapevine as the source of his information.
Francis Raterta says
TRUE -Communication is a process of exchanging information that involve verbal and nonverbal between two or more person
Jacinta Mueni says
Thanks a lot for more elaborate on use of grapevine
Carefully observe the winners, don’t always pay attention to the losers
Thanks I appreciate that information was useful