Communication is the process of exchanging information between two or more parties. In this process, one party transmits message by using a medium and the other party receives the message. In the communication process, information flows from sender to receiver.
In order to make communication effective, the sender should know the reaction of the receiver. When the receiver sends back his response to the sender in connection with the message received, it is called two-way communication. Through two-way communication, parties can exchange their views, attitudes, feelings, new, messages information, data etc. Many authors defined communication in various ways. Some of their definitions are quoted below:
According to Emery and others, “Communication is the art of transmitting information, ideas and attitudes from one person to another.”
According to Theo Haiman defined, “Communication means the process of passing information and understanding from one person to another.”
According to Elliot Jaquer, “Communication is the sum totals of directly and indirectly, consciously an unconsciously transmitted feelings, attitudes and wishes.”
In the opinion of Weihrich and Koontz, “Communication is the transfer of information from a sender to a receiver, with the information being understood by the receiver.”
Newstrom and Davis stated, “Communication is the transfer of information from one person to another person. It is a way of reaching others by transmitting ideas, facts, thoughts, feelings and values.”
In the words of Trewatha, “Communication is the process of transferring and receiving information through the use of common symbols so that understanding takes place.”
Functions of communication: Communication is really a different field that has some various objectives. To gain individual objectives, communication performs quite a few functions. Some of its major functions are as follows:
- Informing: The principal function of communication is informing messages to others. It really is done verbally or non-verbally. Verbal messages might be either oral or written. Over a other hand, non-verbal messages can be sent via human body language, gestures, posture etc.
- Persuading: One more essential functionality of communication is persuading a single party by another. In business, management persuades the employees to make certain that employees persuade management so that management accepts their ideas, opinions and suggestions. The business also communicates with external stakeholders to persuade them.
- Integrating various divisions and departments: Attainment of organizational goals requires integration and coordination of activities performed by various individuals, groups and departments. Management can put together and coordinate those people divisions and departments by building a communication network for the whole organization.
- Creating relationships through external parties: Communication creates relationships not just with internal parties but also with the external parties like customers, suppliers, investors, general community and government. Communication through these external parties could be the for survival of an organization.
- Improving labor-management association: There’s no option to excellent labor-management relationship for achieving organizational goals. Therefore, a significant purpose of communication is to increase labor management relationship. Communication helps each party to express themselves and produce an atmosphere of cooperation.
- Helping in choice making: Management is absolutely nothing but producing decisions for creating decision, management requirements information. The function of communication is to supply relevant info on the management in time so that they are able to make appropriate decisions.
- Reducing misunderstanding: In the absence of communication, misunderstanding, distance, conflict, controversies etc. May perhaps a rise inside the organization. Communication helps to overcome and avoid these misunderstanding, disagreement and controversies.
- Solving troubles: Difficulties are favorite to every business. A business