Inquiry letter is a tool of collecting information about people, products and prices. It plays vital role in making decisions relating to employment, purchase and sale of goods. Prospective employers extensively use inquire letter to collect information about job candidates. In modern time, it is very customary that job applicants mention one or more references in their job application. Prospective employers write inquiry letters to those referees mentioned by applicants. In addition to employment purpose, inquiry letter is written to collect information about business enterprises that want to make credit purchase. Sometimes, inquiry letter is also written to obtain price quotation, cataloger, terms and conditions of sales etc. with the growth and expansion of a business, utility of inquiry letter increases.
Contents or elements of personal status inquiry letter or, factors to be considered in writing inquiry letter about a person
When a prospective employer writes letter to a referee for obtaining information about a job applicant, it is called personal status inquiry letter. The following contents should be included in the personal status inquiry letter:
- Name and address of the applicant: The enquirer must mention full name and address of the applicant in the letter. This helps the receiver to identify the right person.
- Cause of inquiry: In a personal status inquiry letter, the sender must clarify the cause of writing it. This enables the receiver to supply necessary and relevant information.
- Information needed: The employer must clarify the type of information he requires. The employer may ask for information relating to educational attainments, character, habits, honesty, sincerity and family background of the applicant.
- Promising to maintain secrecy of information supplied: An important aspect of inquiry letter is to assure the receiver that information provided by him will be kept secret.
- Assuring further cooperation: The writer of the letter should also assure the receiver that similar help would be provided to him in future if he needs.
- Expressing gratefulness: The sender should express gratitude or thanks to the receiver for cooperation. The writer can express gratefulness by some friendly comments like “Any cooperation will be highly appreciated” or “Thank you in advance for your response.”
- Enclosure: The sender should enclose a return envelope with the letter. If facilitates quick response from the receiver.
- Signature: At the end of the letter, sender should put his signature along with his full name and position.