Agenda means things to be done. It is usually sent along with the notice of the meeting. It is a plan of action to be followed and entails list of topics to be discussed in a meeting.
Sometimes the agenda items are prepared after the circulation of the notice in order to include the member’s opinion. If the subject matter of the business meeting is secret, the meeting agenda may not be circulated. Some definitions of agenda are as follows:
According to Rajendra pal and Korlahalli, “Agenda is document that outlines the contents of a forth coming meeting.”
In retrospect, the agenda is the version of the meeting plan shared with meeting attendees. It can be in reference to a new scheduled board meeting or continuation of previous meeting to address unfinished business. A meeting agenda may be considered a list of items to discuss, a sequence of planned activities, or both. The simplest agendas are formatted as a short bulleted list.
More complicated agendas may include detailed topic descriptions, including the expected outcomes for each item and reference material, such as reports and proposals for inclusive review prior to the meeting. Formal agendas foster innovation and ensures effective use of public resources across domestic and international community to improve the agenda management process. It also include timing and presenter information for each agenda item.
So, agenda is an issue or item of business prepared by the secretary and which are to be discussed or transacted in a forthcoming meeting which could be a municipal meeting, annual meeting, etc. depending on the type of business.
Features of Agenda
The features of agenda can be stated as follows:
- Generally, agenda and agenda items are sent along with the notice of the meeting.
- It is written at the end but before or after the signature of the convener of the meeting.
- It is arranged according to the importance of the end, for example, a meeting for social development will follow crucial steps based on development priorities.
- Controversial topics should be written at the end.
- The topics are determined by the board secretary with consulting the higher authority (board chairs) or the convener of the meeting.
- It is written in brief but explicit manner.
Importance or Necessities of agenda
Agenda is the explicit topics to be discussed in a meeting the members. Meeting participants cannot ignore the importance of an agenda. The necessity or importance’s of an agenda are as follows:
- As it is circulated in advance, the members of the committee or meeting can take preparation to discuss the items of business accurately.
- It helps to take an urgent action and decision.
- Since it has a set of order, it helps the chairperson to conduct the meeting smoothly.
- It can ensure covering all the items of business that will be discussed in a meeting.
- It helps to control the unnecessary talking in the meeting.
- It helps to write the minutes and resolution of the meeting for follow-up and review processes.
- As it is served earlier, the members of the meeting can exchange their thought and ideas informally before holding the meeting.
Agenda as a Backbone of Economic and Social Development
Agenda can be used for many things and one of the major international rules in which this predefined rule of law was utilized was Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 3 to 14 June 1992. It involved the declaration of “Agenda 21” to enable Sustainable Management by developing sustainable development policies for economic growth.
Under national circumstances, agenda items can be used by leaders, politicians, etc. to maximize the use of economic resources including marine resources for social development. It can involve development of action to combat climate, introduce inclusive institutions for management of water, mental health, sustainable agriculture, and access to justice to attain development in countries.
Having a clear agenda will also aid achieving laid out SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) in regardless of countries levels of development. Agenda plays a crucial role in the national circumstances and vital across international community. Therefore, maintaining a good agenda management process will ensure better performance and promote business or economic development.
Very helpfull for the preparation of my 1st presentation.thanks
Ya i is very useful to study also these things are in simple English so it helps more to improve our knowledge thnk u oll behind this
his s very helpful thank you
suzanne salgado says
Hi all, here every one is sharing such know-how, so it’s nice to read this blog, and I used to pay a visit this weblog daily.