There is a proverb “Actions speak louder than words.” In essence, this underscores the importance of non-verbal communication. Non-verbal communication is especially significant in intercultural situations. Researchers in communication suggest that many more feelings and intentions are sent and received non-verbally than verbally. Mehrabian and wiener following suggested that only 7% of message is sent through words, with remaining 93% sent non-verbal expressions (depending on the author, verbal part goes up to 35%). It has multiple advantages or functions:
Advantages of non-verbal communication:
- Complementary: Non-verbal cues complement a verbal message by adding to its meaning. You can pat someone you offended at the back as you say sorry to him or her.
- Easy presentation: Information can be easily presented in non-verbal communication through using visual, audio-visual and silent means of non-verbal communication.
- Substituting: Non-verbal messages may substitute for the verbal message especially if it is blocked by noise, interruption, long-distance, etc. for example; gestures-finger to lips to indicate need for quiet, facial expressions- a nod instead of a yes.
- Accenting: Often used to accent a verbal message. Verbal tone indicates the actual meaning of the specific words.
- Repeat: Used to repeat the verbal message (e.g. point in a direction while stating directions.)
- Help to illiterate people: This type of communication use gestures, facial expressions, eye contact, proximity, touching, etc. and without using any spoken or written word. So, it is very much helpful for illiterate people.
- Help to handicapped people: Non-verbal cues of communication greatly help in handicapped people especially to deaf people. Deaf people exchange messages through the movements of hands, fingers, eyeballs, etc.
- Attractive presentation: Non-verbal communication is based on visual, picture, graph, sign, etc. that can be seen very much attractive.
- Reducing wastage of time: The message of non-verbal communication reached the receiver very fast. For this reason, it reduces the wastage of valuable time of the communicator.
- Quick expression of message: Non-verbal cues of communication like sign and symbol can also communicate some messages very quickly than written or oral messages.
Disadvantages or limitations of non-verbal communication:
Despite of advantages of non-verbal communication, it is not free from its limitations or disadvantages which are:
- Vague and imprecise: Non-verbal communication is quite vague and imprecise. Since in this communication, there is no use of words or language which expresses clear meaning to the receiver. No dictionary can accurately classify them. Their meaning varies not only by culture and context but by the degree of intention.
- Continuous: It is possible to stop talking in verbal communication, but it is generally not possible to stop nonverbal cues. Also, spoken language has a structure that makes it easier to tell when a subject has changed, for instance, or to analyze its grammar. Nonverbal does not lend itself to this kind of analysis.
- Multi-channel: while watching someone’s eyes, you may miss something significant in a hand gesture. Everything is happening at once and therefore it may be confusing to try to keep up with everything. Most of us simply do not do so, at least not consciously.
- Culture-bound: Non-verbal communication is learned in childhood, passed on to you by your parents and others with whom you associate. A few other gestures seem to be universal. Evidence suggests that humans of all cultures smile when happy and frown when unhappy. However, most nonverbal symbols seem to be even further disconnected from any “essential meaning” than verbal symbols. Gestures seen as positive in one culture (Like the thumbs-up gesture in the USA) may be seen as obscene in another culture.
- Long conversations are not possible: In non-verbal communication, long conversation and necessary explanations are not possible. No party can discuss the particular issues of the messages.
- Difficult to understand: Difficult to understand and requires a lot of repetitions in non-verbal communication. Since it uses gestures, facial expressions eye contact, touch, etc. for communicating with others which may not be understandable for the simple and foolish people.
- Not everybody prefers: Everybody does not prefer to communicate through non-verbal communication with others. Sometimes it cannot create an impression upon people or listeners. It is less influential and cannot be used everywhere. It is cannot be used as a public tool for communication.
- Lack of formality: Non-verbal communication does not follow any rules, formality or structure like other communication. Most of the cases, people unconsciously and habitually engaged in non-verbal communication by moving the various parts of the body.
- Costly: In some cases, non-verbal communication involves huge costs. For example, neon signs, powerpoint presentations, cinema, etc are very much costly compared to other forms of communication.
- Distortion of information: Since it uses gestures, facial expressions, eye contact, touch, sign, sound, paralanguage, etc. for communicating with others, there is a great possibility in distortion of information in non-verbal communication.
courtney barrett says
i think this is soooooooooooo goooddddddd
Yes it is really so good
hi can i get the name of the publisher
The Business Communication says
Publisher Name: Masudur Rashid
joseph mgosi says
its good,may God bless you all!
Nyaga Agnes says
Its nice in deed
insane journal says
I know this web site gives quality based posts and other material,
is there any other web site which presents such things in quality?
ngowa kahindi lazarus says
This is so helpful.. keep it up.
Misi Anguisher Aufi says
So helps in my studies on communication programme
Arjun singh says
very helpful, I appreciate it.
Umubyeyi Josiane says
Actually, it’s really good
it bring more knowledge about non verbal communication I appreciate that
yes mate says
thanks for adding to my knowledge, Allah will put more to your elbow
You are looking sharp !
emmanuel Humphrey Banda says
it is real helpful continue updating things like this so that we can learn alot
MODING DICKSON says
Communication is part of human life of which one can’t survive without it, most soo the non-verbal communication. In otherwords thanks for for your big contribution.
wambi george says
thank you alot for the assistance….. it has been if great help to me.
awesome and niceness
it is real gret,apriciat it.keep it up,wish to receiv more?
are u retarded
Amber Kenny says
wow this is fantastic i really apreciated your help thank you so much:*
Kimberley Taylor says
WOW fantastic sooooo helpfull!
Ths is helpful.
Issa Sadala says
Alhamdillah it’s tremendously helpful. Nice write up.
titus museva says
i find it helpful
wooooow brilliant thank yu so much
Zayn Malik says
Thank you, it was really useful for my Health and Social Care. 🙂
B. M. Mnalima says
Well understandable keep it up (BASHIR MNALIMA WA SONGEA).
kabazah benny dakah says
thanks to the excutive of this website…..i really appreciate for your help, it has helped me in my study research…
Bethuel Njoroge says
This is very inspiring. thanks learnt a lot.
Hemedi Rashid Jafari says
it help me in academic issues especially in Communication and skills
helpful. be blessed
Alhassan Wamba says
Nice article keep it up.
SH Laskar says
Very helpful article………….
ninsiima annie says
so nice en i hv learnt alot
Netra Sahu says
Thank you so much…giving this document …it’s very helpful
Sudarshan Prasad says
It’s really helpful and worth reading…☺
Yess it is too good ❣️❣️😘😘
that is very nice of you. am very glad that i have got this information to finish up the assignment given to me
shruti sharma says
Aba Radical says
I have an exam today at 9:00gmt on elements of mass communication. thank you very much for this. it is helping me study. I even shared it with my mates. this is dope
Cei jones says
Difficult to understand: Difficult to understand and requires a lot of repetitions in non-verbal communication. Since it uses gestures, facial expressions eye contact, touch etc. for communicating with others which may not be understandable for the simple and foolish people.
Think this page is really useful however this last line is a bit tactless “simple and Foolish” there are very intelligent people with types of Autism or other disabilities and difficulties who do not always understand social queues like the ones discussed above. Think possibly the wording needs to be looked at as this seems offensive.
wow life saver….really gooooood
rukudzo thelma says
this is so good…..thank yu so much
“handicapped is not word people should use as it is vile and can easily offend people in todays society it is 2018 get your act together
This website is very useful and it can be even used as notes by students. Even i found very useful to me
Careen G says
This website is more than helpful
Issa Sadala says
Emmah Mandizvidza says
This is so good ,,,,,,thank you so much
keu musa says
wanjala calory says
it is so nice by the way
Thank you so much for the helpfull information
Hosea gikundi says
Thanks a lot, it has helped me a lot..
Thnks a lot it really helped me
hevenia Christopher yona says
Oscar salezh says
My self I enjoying
It was really helpful for my course work, thanks
Comment:its so helpful in our studies
Oscar salezh says
Thanks for your good work keep moving forward am happy
Soo well clarified and understandable information. Thank you
Interactive and helpful
Why the people have less control over nonverbal communication explian the reason?
Amos Olweny says
Yeah yeah!! So great, well summarized and keep it up
very helpfull,,,i appreciate
deredza sheunopa says
Reuben Mbudhia says
Reading this from Kenya,it’s such a great help in my studies, thanks.
Mugarura Alex says
Goodluck sergi says
Its incredible I like it
kaila mbambati says
Waoooooo it’s very good
Juma mnango says
Yes it is very helpfully
Happyness andrew says
Linn Akidi says
🙏,,it has done me the best for my research ,marvellous 👏
Muhammad Ahsin Naeem says
Very precise and easy to understand