Communication model and process are closely related to each other. Communication process is made up of some sequential parts of exchanging information. This process includes sender, encodings, message, channel, receiver, decoding and feedback. On the other hand, communication model is the symbolic presentation of communication process. Thus, it seems that communication process and model are similar to each other. Yet, there exists some differences between them. The differences are below:
Differences between communication process and communication model
- Nature: Communication process is theoretical in nature and communication model is the pictorial presentation of communication process.
- Understandability: Since communication process is a theoretical matter, it requires descriptive analysis of components and Since model is a symbolic representation, on can understand the model by simply looking at it.
- Complicacy: The process is descriptive in nature and therefore, it is a complex matter and The model is relatively less complex as it is presented in the form of picture of diagram.
- Time involvement: Theoretical analysis of communication process and Developing communication model requires less time than the process.
- Requirement of expert: There is hardly any need of expert to design a communication process and Experts are essential to develop a well thought out model.
Limitations of communication model
Though communication model is useful in a variety of ways, it is not free form limitations. The limitations of using communication model are as follows:
- Rigidity: Communication model is rigid in nature. Communication cannot always be presented in a rigid model.
- Non-inclusion of some aspects: In a communication model, only the important aspects of communication process are included and less important aspects are ignored. But in some cases these unimportant aspects become important.
- Lack of detailed explanation: Communication model represents the communication process through symbols. Elaborate explanation is not always available in the communication model.
- Non-availability of experts: Another limitation in developing a communication model is that expert hands are not always available. As a result, development of time befitting model is difficult.
Leave a Reply