Adjustment letter is the reply letter referencing a corrective action to the buyer’s complaint or claim. In other words, when seller or delivery authorities write the letter in response to the complaint or claim letter regarding any defective product of the buyer is known as claim adjustment letter. This letter informs the customer either acceptance or rejection of their complaints and claims. Acceptance of the claims may take different forms such as simply admittance of mistake, or taking positive actions which can include the payment of compensation. Adjustment notice or reply to complaint letter plays a vital role in enhancing the goodwill of a company and maintaining relationships with the customers.
According to Murphy and Hilderbrandt, “An adjustment letter is the reply to a compliant or claim letter”.
Finally, we can say that an adjustment letter gives an answer to the customer’s claim letter. Through this letter, the seller notifies the customer whether his claim is granted or rejected. Since this letter settles the claims of the customers, it is also termed as letter of claim settlement. This letter helps to build and maintain goodwill with the customers. This letter to customer complaint can come in the form of official letters or recommendation letters which promotes future business.
Factors to be considered while drafting Adjustment Letter Or, Contents of Adjustment Letter
In drafting adjustment letter, the following points should be kept in mind so that in can convince the affected buyer:
- Acknowledging the claim letter: At the beginning of the adjustment letter, the seller should acknowledge the claim letter of the customer and thank the customer for pointing out the mistakes.
- Regretting for mistakes: Reply letter should regret the mistakes and inconvenience of the seller sincerely. If the seller is definitely at fault, he can apologize by saying,” I am sorry”, “We apologize” etc.
- Immediate reply: After receiving a complaint from the buyer, the seller should give its reply immediately. Delay in reply may create further arrogance.
- Granting immediate promise: If the customer demand for something specific like a refund or replacement, the seller should grant the promise immediately. A claims settlement letter are subject to company policies regarding refunds which are unique per businesses.
- Assuring preventive measures: After receiving the claim from the customers, preventive measures taken by seller should be indicated. Seller must also assure the customer that he will not face any such inconvenience in the future. Relevant document and other essentials that results in such unfortunate circumstances must be taken into consideration to avoid future mistakes.
- Offering further cooperation: In order to promote the goodwill of the company and sustain a relationship with customers, the seller should offer further cooperation and assurance of satisfaction.
- Convincing customer: If the claim of the customer is unfair, unreasonable and unjust, the seller should not react violently. Rather, he should convince the buyer to consider the matter from the seller’s angle.
- Courteous and friendly language: The language of adjustment letters must be courteous and friendly. Such language will cool down the anger of the buyer.
A lot of companies want to request a letter of adjustment but they do not know how to write the letter or what it should contain. They do not know where to find information about writing the letter and what the letter should explain. It is very important for businesses to know how to write an adjustment letter and what should be included in the letter.