Market reports may be of different types in terms of products, structure of the reports and nature of the users of the reports. For convenience, market reports are mainly classified into the following three categories: a. Market report based on product and service b. Market reports based on organization and c. Market report based on time.
Market reports based on product and service: These types of market report can also be classified into the following three categories.
- Market report on industrial goods: Industrials goods are those that are not used in consumption but used in producing consumer goods. When reports are prepared containing market transactions on any industrial goods, these are termed as market reports on industrial goods. Market reports on jute, petroleum, coal etc. are the examples of market report on industrial goods.
- Market report on consumer goods: The reports that contain market transactions on agricultural and manufactured consumer goods are known as market reports on consumer goods. By nature these reports are of following two types.
- Market report on agricultural consumer goods: When a market report contains market information on various agro products, such as pulses, fish, meat, vegetables etc. it is termed as market report on agricultural consumer goods.
- Market reports on industrial consumer goods: This type of market report includes transactions only on industrial consumer goods, such as oil, soap, garment, shoe, television etc.
3. Market reports on service provided: Sometimes market reports are prepared by incorporating various data on different service-provider companies, like banks, insurance companies, telecommunication companies etc. These reports are known as market reports on service provided.
Market report based on organization: Report may be of various types on the basis of the nature of organizations. Some of these are discussed below:
- Stock exchange report: When reports are prepared by incorporating transactions occurred in any stock exchange, are known as stock exchange report. Dhaka Stock Exchange Report, Chittagong Stock Exchange Report etc. are the examples of stock exchange report.
- Money market report: When reports are prepared on the basis of information such as buying capacity of currency, exchange rates, demand and supply of various currencies know as money market report. These types of reports may be of the following two kinds: Local currency market report and foreign currency market report. Dhaka Currency Market Report, New York Currency Market Report etc. are the examples of currency market report.
Market report based on time or period: Different market reports are prepared for different duration of time depending on the nature of market conditions, durability of market etc. The followings are the frequently prepared market reports based on time:
- Daily market report: Daily market report is prepared by incorporating various market transactions of a particular product in a particular market place in a day. Generally, these types of reports are prepared for the products of daily essentials and for the products whose prices change frequently. Daily reports on rice market, fish market and Stock Exchange etc. are the examples of daily report.
- Weekly market report: Weekly market report is prepared by incorporating transactions occurred in a particular week in a particular market place and on a particular product.
- Fortnightly market report: This type of report generally prepared by mentioning transactions occurred bi-weekly in a particular market place.
- Monthly market report: Monthly market report is generally published at the end of the month mentioning the market conditions and transactions of that month.
- Annual market report: Annual market report presents transactions on a product occurred in a particular year in any market. This type of report is generally prepared in analytical form and covers detailed information relating to overall transactions, buying, selling, supply, demand etc. of a particular product in a particular market for a year.