The letter that is written in response to the inquiry letter, it is called reply letter to inquiry. In a broader way, when the receiver of an inquiry letter writes a reply letter to the original sender, it is known as reply letter to inquiry. This letter provides the reader or inquirer with information relating to persons, products, and enterprises. The reply letter may contain favorable news (positive information) or unfavorable news (negative information).
In the opinion of Quibe, “Letters of reply to inquires are messages that provide the reader with information about products, services and persons.
The reply to a letter of inquiry should be timely. Delay in response may reduce the utility of information. However, if reply cannot be provided immediately, a letter of acknowledgment can be sent mentioning the expected response date.
Contents or elements of reply letter to personal inquiry or, factors to be considered while drafting reply to the personal status inquiry letter.
The reply to personal inquiry letter may contain either positive information of negative information. Whatever the nature of reply is, it contains some general contents along with a particular positive or negative opinion. The following contents are generally included in reply to personal status inquiry letter:
- Acknowledging the letter of the inquirer. That means acceptance of the letter of inquiry should be mentioned.
- Name, address and other particulars of the person of whom information is provided.
- Providing specific information as asked by the inquirer. Information supplied should be accurate and relevant whether it is positive or negative.
- Providing additional information that may help the enquirer to make a better decision.
- The replier should not put his own assumptions with the facts.
- A statement expressing the intention not to take any liability resulting from future transactions with the person.
- Requesting the enquirer to keep information secret.
- Giving assurance of providing further help in future.
- Expressing soreness if the information supplied goes against the prospective candidate.
- Using simple and unambiguous words and sentences.
- Wishing inquirer’s business prosperity with thanks.
- Mentioning the name, position and address of the information provider.
Nice article. Fair explanation of all elements required to respond to an enquiry mail.
Would you recommend any books to improve business email writing skills.