Meaning of talking: Talking is the oral expression of knowledge, ideas, viewpoints and emotions through words. From dawn to dusk, we are talking formally and informally to exchange our views and knowledge. But, when we will need to talk formally with others, we should be careful. Effective talking should be planned just as carefully as planning what we write. So, we should choose appropriate style and words in talking with others.
So, talking is the oral expression between two more people about the knowledge, ideas, viewpoints and conations through oral words.
Elements of good talking: The elements of good talking may be stated as follows:
- Voice quality: Generally voice quality refers to the pitch and resonance of the sounds made. But for our purposes, speed and volume are included. Good voice quality is needed for effective talking.
- Talking style: One of the most important elements of good talking is style. Style of talking refers to how the three parts of voice quality- pitch, speed and volume blend together. It is the unique way these parts combine to give personality to ones oral expression.
- Word choice: The quality of talking is word choose. It depends or ones vocabulary. The larger the vocabulary, the more choices one has, we should keep in mind the need for the recipient to understand the words we choose.
- Adaption: The fourth quality of good talking is adaptation. Adaption means to fit the message to the intended listener.
- Choose the right time to call: Before calling, choose the suitable time to call. In this regard, you should consider cost, urgency and convenience. At the time of calling overseas you must consider the time difference.
- Check the number: Be sure the right number of calling. A great deal of money is wasted ever year on dialing wrong number.
- Plan you call: Before calling, you should make a list of points and questions to be raised at the time of your call.
- Preparation: You should gather all the information which may be needed during the call. It is very unprofessional to have to say ‘Hold on while I look for that’.
- Avoid interruption: You should dial when you are unlikely to be distracted for a avoiding interruption.
B. During the calling: The following matters must be considered during the calling.
- Courteous: You should be courteous in talking through telephone. Make time for suitable pleasantries like. How are you today John?
- Put a smile voice: You should remember that the receiver cannot see you so sue intonation to good effect and try to sound helpful, interested and pleasing.
- Check your notes: Before disconnecting the line you should look back at your notes to ensure you have covered all the points correctly.
- Obtain feedback: Be sure that your caller has understood the message clearly.
- Make a good finish: Finally you should finish thanking the caller for giving time.
C. After call: The following matters must be considered after call.
- Make notes: After call you should make necessary notes of the call and store them in the appropriate file. It is a good habit of course.
- Take action: If you need to send a letter of confirmation or if you need to inform someone about the details of call, you should do it immediately to avoid forgetting any points.