Since the contents and layout of resume or curriculum vitae vary widely, there is no best way to write it. However, depending in the background and career goal, there can be three formats of resume. These are:
- Chronological format resume: The chronological format is the most common way to organize a resume, as most employers prefer it. In this format, work experience dominates the arrangement of information. Work experience in usually placed after the opening section. This format is suitable for experienced job seekers. In this format, employment information like duration of employment, company name and job title etc. are listed by dates, chorological format may be of two types:a. straight chronological order and b. reverse chronological order.
- Straight chronological order: In straight chronological order, experience is listed with the sequence of date. That is the most recent employment is placed in the last. An example of straight chronological order of experience is shown below:
- Reverse chronological order: In this approach, list of experience is given in the reverse way where the most recent employment appears in the first. An example of reverse chronological order of experience is show below:
- Functional order: A functional resume or curriculum vitae focuses on the academic qualifications, skills and accomplishments of the applicant. Therefore, academic achievements, skills and accomplishments section appears at the beginning of the resume. It is useful for candidates who have outstanding academic record and possess special skills for performing a job. Fresh graduates who have little or no experience usually follow this format.
- Combination approach: It is the combination of the previous two approaches. It combines the best features of chronological and functional approaches. Combination approach emphasizes on job skills and special capability that differentiate the application from others. Therefore, this approach is suitable for persons whose job related skills and capabilities are superior to academic attainments. It also lists company names and dates of previous employments.