Contents of resume: Contents and layout of resume or curriculum vitae vary widely. There is no single best way to write resume. However, a factual and effective resume usually contains the following contents:
- Opening section: Opening section of a resume generally includes following two items:
- Identifying information: Identifying information includes name, contact address (both present and permanent), e-mail address and telephone number of the applicant.
- Career objective: A modern resume includes a statement of immediate and long-term career objective of applicant. This statement helps the employer to evaluate what type of job the applicant likes. Career objective also helps the employer to categorize the applicants.
- Education or academic qualification: This section of resume contains a list of degree achieved along with name of the in situation granting the degree, year of obtaining the degree, courses taken, position obtained etc.
- Work experience: In this section, a list of employment and description of work experience are incorporated by following a reveres chorological order. It mentions employer’s name and location, duration of employment and position held.
- Achievements and awards: This section includes school and community memberships, offices held, honors, publications, language skills etc. of the applicant.
- Personal data: Personal data include applicant’s age, religion, gender, nationality, marital status, hobby, height, date of availability etc.
- Reference: Most resumes mention references from which the employer can seek information about the applicant. Generally, name of the former employers and teachers are mentioned as reference.